Monday, August 17, 2009

Infant Vaccinations - How much does it hurt

Two months will be here before we realize it. Don't know if it is time flies when you are having fun or sleep deprivation makes us not realize how fast things have gone.

One of the things that happens at two months is vaccinations. We are both pro-vaccinations. We just can't see Nate having to deal with many of the diseases that are so easily prevented. So at two months here are the recommended vaccinations: DTaP (Diphtheria, Tetanus, and Pertussis (whooping cough)), Polio, Hepatitis B, Prevnar (pneumococcal bacteria), HIB (Haemophilus influenzae bacteria),and Rotavirus. Then there are followups and additional vaccinations at a year for diseases like measles, mumps, and rubella.

I do understand the arguments that some people have that by vaccinating you are not allowing the immune system to optimally strengthen itself. But then some of those same people are the ones sending their kids to things like measles parties. To me that just seems like a recipe for disaster. Diseases like measles can be really nasty. Others worry about the safety of vaccinations. That may be a topic for another date, but every study I've ever seen says that vaccines are safe. Yes, there can be some side-effects, but the minor risk is so much less than the reward.

So one of the things that crossed my mind is how much pain will we be subjecting Nate to when his shots are administered. I'm thinking there will be three or four pokes. Now when I think about it when I get shots they really don't hurt, except for that initial sting. Now a baby does have to deal with the shock which is probably the worst and most upsetting part of the whole process. My reading seems to concur that this is most likely the case.

One of the vaccinations I most want to get Nate is the HIB, which protects against pneumonia and meningitis. We recently had a friend who's daughter came down with a case of bacterial meningitis before she was vaccinated. Even catching it early they spent many days in the hospital, several spinal taps, lots of antibiotics, and many prayers. She recovered nicely. However, after reading how serious meningitis can be to a child anything I could do to prevent it I will.

So I'm also going to try and make sure that I go to the pediatrician with mom and Nate, if nothing else to comfort mom during the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment